Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chasing the Babe --264

So I bet you thought since I didn't post yesterday-- I didn't work out-- well if you thought that shame on you-- I DID work out yesterday and today-- in fact I've been working out straight since Sunday-- and I plan to go right on through Sunday. Yesterday I did 35 minutes on the treadmill and an intense lifting regimen-- hitting abs, thighs, back, shoulders, triceps and biceps. Today I hit the treadmill for 50 minutes (I found a machine @ the gym they hadn't manipulated to only allow for a 30 minutes work out) -- ok so I felt a little bit guilty hogging the treadmill for 50 minutes-- but I figured I was up for it and after this week deserved an few extra minutes! -- I also did a few weights (only about 10 minutes worth-- but proud of it nonetheless)-- note to self-- second treadmill from the door is now my perfered machine!

When I was walking for those 50 minutes-- I remembered a conversation I had with my oil painting professor a few years ago. He told me to work out he likes to run-- and how he motivates himself is he imagines himself in his prime-- the best he could ever look-- all muscular and suave--- well his "perfect" self is running in front of him-- and all he has to do is catch up to become that person--- I have to admit I laughed at the thought of this--- chasing myself in unbelievable shape--- the kind of shape that turns even the girls heads--- but I can't help but think how effective that strategy is! I often think (since I've always been overweight) how easy my journey would be if I just knew what I would look like @ 175 lbs-- if I knew what I was working for-- how I'd look-- how I'd feel--- I would be so much motivated since I wouldn't be able to stand the wait! I think at this point it's such a foreign thought I have a hard time picturing myself in it for the long haul-- especially when I start plateauing like I have these past two weeks.

Speaking of plateauing-- I remember when I hit a plateau before for about 3 weeks-- and then over night I lost 12 lbs-- literally overnight I did-- I was so amazed and thought "where did all that weight go while I was sleeping?" Our bodies really are incredible! I find solace in the fact that I know I'm doing all I can -- and since I'm doing all I can -- regardless of what the scale is saying I know it's paying off.

Relentlessly chasing the Babe-- one day at a time.

4 comments:

  1. I'll admit that I was a little worried when you didn't post. I was looking forward to it because it helps to see someone else starting where I am. Congratulations on finding the perfect machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can go to my virtual model and have a look at what could be you in the future. I did, and it's a real motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this vision of chasing your perfect self. Constantly striving to reach a little bit further. Congrats on all the exercise, and on finding your favorite treadmill :)
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to think about my perfect self while I'm running as well, but not to chase it. Well, maybe. I just think that someone that strong and that buff, etc would probably be able to finish this jogging interval and I try to imagine how good it feels to KNOW you are strong enough to power through something and to do it. Usually works.

    Speaking of looking at what you would look like weighing less - I've used a website that will digitally remove the pounds from a picture or yourself. I know it's cheating a little, but I keep the digital-after pic up as motivation and I keep it as the background on my phone. If I get tempted, it's nice to have as a reminder about what I might be giving up on. If you feel compelled, check it out at http://www.weightview.com/new/

    ReplyDelete