Sunday, January 4, 2009

263 - the treadclimber kicked my ass!

Have you seen the commercials for the Treadclimber? They describe that it feels like you're walking in sand-- well I have no idea how to describe how it feels other than awkward and challenging! I tried the treadclimber about a month ago when 4 first arrived @ my gym-- interestingly enough only 1 of the 4 were in working condition when received (not good odds if you're looking to purchase one).

As previously discussed when I hop on the treadmill I always walk at about a pace of 4.2 mph. I started up the treadclimber (which incidentally takes a while to respond to the commands you give it) I kept hitting the speed up control until I hit about 4.2--- all the sudden I almost fell off... (since the machine took so long to respond) I had to keep adjusting the speed down until I was confident I wasn't going to embarrass myself by taking a face plant -- this occurred at about 2.8 mph.

I must admit that I did feel like I was getting a work out-- in fact I've never sweated so much in my entire life. I did have difficulty with the "pedals" mainly because I don't walk evenly--- with one of my legs I take a much shorter stride-- I had to make adjustments for this but once I got that figured out things went more smoothly. The system does monitor your heart rate while on the treadclimber (which mine was incredibly high-- so high in fact it kept telling me "find the right pace-- no need to rush this is twice the work out" --- seeing that flash about 98% of the time while I was working out was distracting). The machine does give a lot of suggestions; "slow down" "take longer strides" " even out your strides" but I found it to be a little too eager to help! At the end of the work out (20 minutes) I had burned much fewer calories than I do on the traditional treadmill-- and with a lot more effort. I haven't gone back to try the treadclimber yet-- but I think it does really do a good job of targeting a lot of muscles you don't normally hit as well.

This is my humble take on the treadclimber.. let me know what you think? It's ok to disagree!

In other news I did just get home from the gym-- all 30 treadmills (and treadclimber) were taken up when I got there-- the air was thick and humid with the stench of sweat in the air-- can't wait for mid February when everyone jumps off the New Years Resolution trek---

my workout consisted of inner and outer thigh abduction machines 120 lbs (while waiting on a machine to open up)-- I snagged a treadmill and walked 35 minutes @ an inclination that maxed out @ 4.5--- after which I did the ab machine @ 95lbs the triceps @ 50lbs and this other exercise that targets your back and your gut @ 120lbs. Then for good measure I hopped back on the treadmill and got another 20 minutes in--- from the treadmill standpoint I burned 550 calories-- all in all a pretty decent work out-- I'm already a little sore on my outer thighs (definitely feeling that more tomorrow) -- love knowing I "did some work son".

1 comment:

  1. It reminds me of how people think that playing games on the Nintendo Wii isn't exercise, cause all previous game systems involved you sitting there and doing little other than giving your thumbs a good workout.

    Playing games like the Raving Rabbids games or Warioware Smooth moves, where you have to move the Wiimote and the nunchuck around very quickly, is very tiring. It really does force you to use your muscles, and if you're standing use them all that much more.

    I think it's also ridiculous that people act like only fat people get tired by a workout. Any amount of moving around being walking, or treadmilling, or whatever is tiring. People act as if we're all going to go extinct cause we aren't as active as we used to be when we would hunt for food.

    As if too much technology is going to kill us. I really would like to take all those people who think that. Put them on an island with no technology, and see how long they'd be able to make it. It seems to be a case of not respecting what we have.

    I hope this hasn't gone too off-topic. What I'm basically trying to say, is that it's crazy to suggest there's an exercise that is going to be effortless. As much as it's crazy for people to suggest that some form of exercise is better than another. It doesn't matter, as long as it's moving around for half an hour each day. There are more important things to worry about in this world.

    I also want to mention, that I really love Lady Gaga's album The Fame as workout music. Really everyone who sees this post, should go and listen to her stuff now.

    ReplyDelete