Saturday, February 14, 2009

I want to be Thin Enough for Fashion 254

For those of you who have never been overweight.. you probably don't realize how difficult it is for overweight girls to get any nods from the fashion industry. It's amazing how many stores do not carry plus sized clothing at all-- or maybe just on their websites. If you're lucky enough to find a store that actually carries plus sized dresses-- they normally have a very small collection that tend air on the extremely matronly side of things. If you don't believe me, walk into any department store to the women's section. What you will find is a couple of suits (these skirt suits will undoubtedly have an elastic waist band). You will also find a dress or two that is really more of a smock (cut the same from breast to ankle) that will be in white and one in beige completely covered in sequence. There will also be an array of black sheath dresses, and one or two large flower print dresses with a short sleeved sweater over the top.

It's always angered me that the world seems to think if I'm a little heavier I shouldn't have the desire to be feminine (or worse yet that if I'm overweight I can't be feminine-- or what would be the point of being feminine because no one would care to look at me?) Since I've always been overweight I've always thought that the mindset of the fashion world should change-- but since I'm in this process of losing weight (and *gasp* conforming to the image of beauty) I have to tell you that I can not wait til I get to the point where I can shop for little summer dresses that I can pair with pumps, large belts and chunky necklaces. LOL I have a "feminine itch" I need to scratch and NO not THAT KIND of Feminine itch lol.I want to wear skirts and be fashionable and throw in my own retro kick to it. I want to be able to walk around without feeling like I need to "correct my curves" with spanks. I want to be cute, and kitchy and above all feeling like I am the girl I always wanted to be. It's going to be amazing and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment