Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dance Your Ass Off -242

I don't know if any of you have had the chance to catch Oxygen's new TV show, Dance your Ass Off. I actually find it to be quite entertaining. The premise of the show is basically Dancing With the Stars (minus the stars) combined with Biggest Loser. While admittedly I don't watch either of the afore mentioned shows, the general idea is the same perform, lose weight or GO HOME!

Each week the contestants are given a "theme" of dance and with a professional dance partner they rehearse all week. Each conestant weighs in at the beginning of the week and then again at the end of the week. Constestants are scored based on the percentage body weight lost + the average score given by the 3 judges-- the contestant with the lowest score goes home!

I think it's genuinely pretty interesting. Through the week each contestant has access to a doctor, nutirionist and professional dance partner. The daily routine includes work outs and 2 hours of dance (so it's no wonder some of these people are losing 10+ lbs in a week). This is weight loss the RIGHT way-- and I think that's awesome (and it looks so fun too!!)
Although so far I really like the show, my biggest pet peeve reamins with the host, Melissa Jaret who it is obvious they have stuffed into a gurdle (being a plus sized woman herself). What kind of message is it that the host of the show is overweight (while all contestants themselves are losing weight and she remains the same) AND the fact that not only is she plus sized but they try and make her look smaller by smoothing out the problem areas and stuffing her in to skin tight dresses.

The other beef I have with this show is the costumes designed by "professional designers" are incredibly skimpy. All women are in short shorts or short dresses/ skirts and with the exception of ONE woman and ONE man-- the guts are fully exposed. While I understand the logic behind this (the less clothing the more we can see "progress")-- I think it's a bit degrading and distastful. Although I suppose if you're competing to lose weight and WIN 100 grand, you don't mind sharing your weight and your body with the entire world.Anyway give it a try-- tune in and see what you think. The show has really inspired me to consider joining a dance class for exercise-- something I've actually been thinking about on and off for a few years.-- who cares if I lack rhythm-- lol.

2 comments:

  1. some of the outfits I thought were amazing others were a bit much...But once u think about it who wants to dance their ass off in a turtleneck idk *shrugs* I think its a great idea (the how that is) and wished I coulda been on it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to record it but for some reason it didn't work. I need to see if I can catch the first episode online!

    ReplyDelete